Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The New Greeks?

Peer Support Cited in Black Students' Success (New York Times: May 17)

You know, I gotta diversify my sources.

In any case, I liked this article. It seems like a great idea, but why limit it to African-American students? I can't say for certain, but I think that the original idea behind fraternities and sororities was exactly this. When my cousin was at Florida State, her sorority definitely helped her with studying and preparing for classes - the older girls were great mentors for her. At a large public university, it can be very easy to get lost.

The problem with fraternities and sororities now, of course, is A) They're exclusive B)Earned or not, they have a reputation for being more about drinking/hazing/engaging in inappropriate sexual behavior with strippers/etc.

Could this help our "crisis" in higher education?

No comments: