Monday, January 29, 2007

Yeah!

Just one more thing... the Hoover Report gives the following as a recommendation:

13. ...Florida should move toward a more streamlined approach to certification. The state should allow principals to hire any candidate, provided they have a bachelor’s degree, can demonstrate substantive competence, and can pass a background check. Passage of subsequent requirements or coursework should not be required, if a teacher is meeting administrator expectations. To help eliminate poorly performing teachers, Florida should increase the probationary period of new teachers from three to five years to allow districts a reasonable length of time to observe their performance and make retention decisions.

This is what I'm talking about. Why should I (and so many other qualified individuals) be prevented from being teachers? I've taught for three years and have a master's degree in my subject (and will have another one soon!). I love that the state requirements could actually keep me from helping kids. It's just ridiculous.

No comments: