Thursday, August 28, 2008

what educational experiences do you remember?

Do you remember classes? Parties? I remember places very strongly. There's a scene from Jane Austen's Pride and Predjudice when she visits Darcy's house and falls in love with him because the place demonstrates his character. Sewanee was that was for me - the ethos of learning echoed through the place. A sense of the pastoral and respect for the land pervaded both the architecture and the land. All the buildings were made of sandstone from local quarries,reflecting the colors and feel of the landscape. Classrooms were always open, and on late nights I sought solace there to continue to bang out my studies.
I don't feel like the college where I work now has the same kind of purposeful architecture. If it is, the purpose doesn't seem to be learning. Rather, the purposes seem corporate and fundraising oriented.
How does that dictate what my students will take away from there college experiences?

No comments: