Friday, February 6, 2009

Policy entrepreneurs don't only exist in Congress

I had a comment asking me about policy entrepreneurship and if Rahm Emmanuel was a policy entrepreneur. I'm sure he is, I don't really know since I don't study Congress. Well, I only like the small slices of Congress that impact foreign/second language education. Like the reauth of HEA!

Politics happen in all organizations at all levels. From union leadership to who gets the best classroom, power and maneuvering play an important role in who gets the biggest piece of the pie. I've just been doing research for the good old dissert on the Georgetown School of Languages and Linguistics, and a good half of the memos deal with how many Chinese faculty there should be, how much Instructors should get paid, why so-and-so's memo said such-and-such and how the Dean can't believe that he would contradict what the Dean had said in the Hall of Nations, etc.

The ability to break through the chatter and define the problem is one of the most salient, cut-to-the-chase tools of any actor.

No comments: