Thursday, April 30, 2009

Inspired by women who find a way to balance their careers and their lives

The other day I went to the gym and saw a friend who had given birth to a beautiful little girl three weeks prior. She was just getting back into exercise, and maybe even taking a little time for herself. On those days when I feel "too tired" to go to the gym, I think of her and it inspires me.

I sometimes read the Mama, PhD blog and while sometimes I think they can sound a little complain-y, it does make real the challenges of combining family life with an academic career. The blog led me to this book, and a great essay by Barbara Jacobowitz which says, "My love for my work enhances what I bring to my children as a parent, and.. the love that I bear for my children brings something extra to my work." She never says it is easy, but is anything worth living for easy?

And no, I am not pregnant. What is it with people? I had a glass of seltzer at the party and everybody freaked out and said I must be. I sure hope not, because I also had a glass of wine. Something about turning 30 and people suddenly think you've turned into mom.

No comments: