Sunday, August 27, 2006

This article reminds me of my high school. We had all of the same cliques the young lady from Vietnam talks about in her school in Loudon County (Virginia) - and even more! We had several different cliques of Indians, various Asian cliques (the smart Asian clique, the cool Asian clique, etc). It was fun to be friends with people who didn't fit any stereotypes - in fact, many of the stereotypes I learned after I left high school, because the reality of who people were was present and in my face every day. I still miss that experience, because the "real world" I live in now seems to be so much more segregated. Almost all of my friends are white, and most people I know tend to hang with "birds of a feather." It's a shame kids do it better than adults - although isn't that what Brown vs. Board of Ed asked them to do in the first place?

This article made me realize that it's a great time to be a teacher right now. The schools are expanding, and it's a chance to get into a good district and work with a diverse set of kids who will really change this country. Plus the pay's really not bad - I know, so many people complain about teacher's salary, but think about what most government workers make, and then add in the fact that teachers get at least 2 months off. It's really worth thinking about if you're willing to get your certification. If they're looking for advanced math teachers in Vietnam, I think a few of us might be able to go in and teach those classes. Heck, after taking this statistics class, I think I could probably teach some advanced math! And actually enjoy it.

"In Schools Across the U.S., the Melting Pot Overflows." (Dillon, S. New York Times, August 27th, 2006)

No comments: