Wednesday, October 4, 2006

Cite your sources!

I cited Bennett and Page's op-ed in the Post in this blog entry last week, and this week in my History of Ed class, we discussed it (I sent it out to everyone in the class). In any case, the article cites James S. Coleman's research, stating that his research proves "that there's no reliable connection between the resources going into a school and the learning that comes out" (Bennet, W. 2006-9-21). My professor, being the dedicated scholar she is, went back to check the source. I'm not sure that the report "makes clear" that funding has no impact on outcomes; it seems that after Brown V Board, Southern schools increased their funding as a sort of noncompliance compliance with Brown (see Wikipedia, "James S. Coleman," last updated 9/19/6). I'm just citing sources from the Internet, so I would probably need to dig around a little more to get a more scholarly opinion. This isn't one of my areas of research, so I don't know if I would have time to do it... one of my problems seems to be that I'd like to research everything!

In any case, Coleman's report makes a strong case that black students do better in integrated classrooms. This seems to be the main thrust of his argument, not that funding doesn't matter. His report eventually led to busing, which I think we can agree was a bit of a disaster. I think their hearts were in the right place, but as for for actually working... not so much. I can't seem to find an actual draft of the report online, but I'll keep looking. It's interesting to look at the social and policy effects of research; like an author's novel or play being adapted to film, television, or the theatre, sometimes the author of the research has no say and orignial intent is thwarted in the reproduction.

I have to run - tons of work and not much time!

No comments: