Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Wikipedia has ethics, rules, peer review???

I'm discovering the elaborate system that is Wikipedia. Why? One of my initial goals for starting my oral history project is to create a Wikipedia page about Dr. Alatis. Wikipedia does have strict standards for articles which are biographies of living persons; however, I feel that I will be able to abide by their standards as well as those governing the prohibition of original research. As long as I reference Dr. Alatis's publications and other publicly available material (including research I conducted at the Georgetown archives), I think this will be easy provided I apply the Wikipedia standards of neutral point of view, etc.

It is a really sophisticated system. I have often referenced it as a quick way to learn about a topic, but I had no idea how elaborate a community it was. It's actually really cool.

Anyway, you can check out my user page and see what I'm currently working on over there.

No comments: