Tuesday, August 18, 2009

dissert lines

get it? like a buffet line.

j/k people. I've identified a few different lines of thought that I will need to familiarize myself with in order to write my dissertation proposal. Any resources you've found helpful, you think are pivotal to any of these themes, please, have at it and recommend me some good things.

- history of immigrants in America (due to Alatis's heritage as a son of Greek immigrants in West Virginia)
- educational leadership (obvi here, he was dean of the School of Languages and Linguistics at Georgetown)
- history of foreign language education policy, based primarily on policy documents that Alatis has shared with me
- Other? Development of socio-linguistics? History of English as a Second Language? As much as I'd love to include it, I think I'm going to have to excise the English as a Second Language portion of Alatis's life, at least from the dissertation. It actually would be a whole separate dissertation to write about that portion of his life. Guess that's part of the "this is fascinating and out of scope" disclaimer I'll include in the proposal. Have to write on it another time, though, because it brings up issues of socio-linguistics, class, race, and English hegemony.

And OMG, the airconditioning sounds like a stampede all of the sudden. It's interesting being in the "old" (read, like early 1990s) part of the building.

No comments: