Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Exhilarated by nerdy activities

I always love it when I discover what a nerd I am. When I worked at an internship with Women's Wear Daily in Paris, my favorite thing to do was research for the writers. My boss looked at me like I was crazy - she said no one ever liked that part of the job. I couldn't believe that my job was to read. How awesome.

In preparing 3 concurrent grant proposals, I've realized 2 things: a) this is what grad school is preparing you for - writing a grant proposal is much like writing a final paper. Although they should, for one class or another, have you actually put together a proposal. They could then use them to bring money into the college. But I digress; b) I love writing and having it go somewhere - once the grant proposal was finished and is actually being submitted, I felt a sense of exhilaration! Being a nerdy professor preparing grant proposals is clearly what I was meant to do in life.

So to recap, I love to research and I love to write. I love it especially when you have good ideas and make good connections and get funded for doing those things, which then allows you to continue to research and to write. AND, might I add.... to contribute to the greater good.

No comments: