Friday, October 9, 2009

Candidacy!!!

So in a short(ish) time, it'll be "Dr. Cole" to you. I've passed my comps and am now officially in candidacy.

For those of you who don't live in the ivory tower, candidacy simply means that I'm done with my coursework and comprehensive exams and will spend the rest of my time in my PhD program working on my dissertation (although I've been collecting data for the better part of this year, cheating time a bit I guess!).

So when do the raise/additional employment opportunities come in? (see below)

From Wikipedia:
A Ph.D. Candidate (sometimes called Candidate of Philosophy) is a postgraduate student at the doctoral level who has successfully satisfied the requirements for doctoral studies, except for the final thesis or dissertation. As such, a Ph.D. Candidate is sometimes called an "ABD" (All But Dissertation or All But Defended). Although a minor distinction in postgraduate study, achieving Ph.D Candidacy is not without benefit. For example, Ph.D. Candidate status may coincide with an increase in the student's monthly stipend and may make the student eligible for additional employment opportunities.

1 comment:

Baby Mama said...

Mazel tov Nicole! Onward ho to the big D now :)