Thursday, October 29, 2009

I'm at 2 sentences.

...of my proposal. The chitchatting outside is not helping me at all, btw. You want to see the sentences? Here they are:

This proposal explores the transcultural development of an academic dean, moving from the Greek immigrant enclave of Weirton, West Virginia through graduate school, Fulbright experiences in Greece, research and policy at the Office of Education, establishment of a professional association, and finally to a deanship at the prestigious [to remain nameless] University. Threading through this life is a passion for learning, teaching, and promoting the study of other languages and cultures.

Basically I need to work from this to somehow discussing how this passion for other languages/cultures, founded deeply in who Alatis is, inspired his life's work and found many outlets but in other ways put him at odds with the culture in which he was operating which doesn't value other languages in the same way he did. A typical transcultural conundrum. I guess, I don't know. If I knew, I would write it more definitively but at least this is a start.

No comments: