Sunday, June 22, 2008

And another thing....

I just watched Meet the Press, and was reminded that I saw this rainbow. Tim Russert's funeral was on Wednesday, and after the memorial service at the Kennedy Center, everyone walked out and saw this rainbow over Washington. I was on Capitol Hill, looking for a new apartment with my boyfriend. I dropped him off at Union Station to catch the metro back home, and turned the corner. Right in front of me was a beautiful rainbow, the kind that takes your breath away.

It was the same rainbow everyone exiting Russert's memorial service saw, having just listened to the ukulele version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow (which also happened to be one of 'my best friend's and her husband's first dance song). A "Russert Miracle," everyone said.

I'm so glad I saw it. I couldn't go to the wake - had already left work so many times to look at apartments. Because I saw it, though, I feel like I was able to say goodbye to Tim Russert as well.

From Haddad, T. "Stumper: The Russert Miracles." Newsweek, 6/19/08: "When asked his reaction to explain the sudden appearance of the rainbow at the exact moment, Luke Russert, his sparkly smile so reminiscent of his father's, said: "Is anyone still an atheist now?"

No comments: