Sunday, June 22, 2008

Zimbabwe

I normally don't write about international issues - partly because I think my focus is on domestic education policy, but also because the US media doesn't tend to focus as much on international issues. Well, except for Iraq. I usually get my international news from NPR in the mornings on my way to work.

This morning, though, I saw this on the cover of the online NY Times... and what struck me was how heroic this decision was. Morgan Tsvangiari dropped out of the run-off election in Zimbabwe, saying he could not ask people to vote for him and die. On one hand, it's terrible that the situation in Zimbabwe is so dire. On the other had, Tsvangiari realized that by putting himself forward, many would die - and so chose for them to live.

I saw the movie Hotel Rwanda a few weeks ago. We got it from Netflix and it sat there for a coule of weeks - I really wanted to see it, but knew how hard it would to be to watch. And it was. The worst part was when Western countries came to pick up their foreign nationals in the country, and left all the Africans behind. The man in the movie saved so many - but so many more died because of an arbitrary tribal distinction. Well, arbitrary to me. Maybe it meant something at some point. After it was over, I just sat there and cried.

I think what Tsvangiari has done has allowed Zimbabwe to perhaps avoid worse killing, to avoid Rwanda - and maybe find another path to healing, if the world will pay attention and help.

No comments: