Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Putting 'em on notice

So we had a neighborhood incident today where a group of high schoolers (probably about 8 of them) were gambling in the back of one of the houses on my street. They said hello to me as I walked the dog by, and being that I can't count, I thought that it was at a house on our street where there are lots of comings and goings and conceivably, one of them could temporarily be living there.

Well, as it turns out, it was at Mrs. N's house, as I discovered when she came home and pulled into her driveway to find them. Apparently they cruise houses and try to find a place to gamble. It's likely it was the same crew I saw a few days ago in the alley. Apparently they try to find houses where no one is home and play their games.

As Mrs. N, who is a high school teacher, said, "This is the future. I'm going to an island someplace."

I guess this wouldn't happen if I lived in some fancy place elsewhere in the city like many of my friends do, but at the same time, I couldn't afford my mortgage and I wouldn't work so hard to make friends with our neighbors.

Bev on the street did call the cops, and they cruised by about 10 minutes too late. Next time I'm not going to be so chicken and just call.

No comments: