Thursday, May 15, 2008

Gen Y = big bucks

This millennial generation business sells a lot of books and creates a lot of consulting opportunities for "experts."

There are so many books and consultants out there that are starting to jump into this. Is it real? Is it an imagined crisis? I think there are some real differences between the current generation in college and mine. I don't know if the reading and writing that students do digitally is making up for the reading and writing we did in books and on paper. I still love books - they are my favorite thing. I'm trying not to pass judgment, to keep an open mind that digital media can open up new ways of learning and appeal to the multiple intelligences... yet I have a strong bias that real knowledge and thinking comes from sitting along, struggling with a text. Now, if you're reading that online through Project Guttenberg, or something to that effect, I think it can have a democratizing effect.

But if thinking and struggling through texts isn't happening... I don't know. It doesn't seem like learning to me.

No comments: