Thursday, May 15, 2008

More U Kan Reed?

In a review of The Dumbest Generation, Charles McGrath talks about a book by Christine Hassler and how it verifies much of what Mark Bauerlein fears about Gen Y.

Now, I have to include a disclaimer, because as since I am in-between the much-talked about and disparaged Generation X and the much-talked about and much celebrated Millennial Generation. I think some of these generalizations are overblown. I also think they have a tendency to describe the middle-class white part of the generation and not much else. What about students who don't go to college, or who work and attend community college? Are they constantly on IM and text messaging? I think if these researchers relied on more than generalizations about a few students whom they happen to know, they might see beyond and make a more complex and nuanced argument.

But nuance does not sell books. Again, I haven't read the book and I'm not sure that unless I can get it from the library anytime soon that I will - my book budget needs to be cut because I spend too much money on them!

Growing Up for Dummies - New York Times: "According to Christine Hassler, author of “20 Something Manifesto: Quarter-Lifers Speak Out About Who They Are, What They Want and How to Get It,” they’re not just floundering, they’re often anxious and miserable, suffering from something like menu overload: there are just too many choices to make. The result is often a feeling of stasis and letdown that Ms. Hassler calls Expectation Hangover, a phrase she is so fond of she has trademarked it."

No comments: