Tuesday, May 13, 2008

One more post before I go to bed...

Thinking about the last post, what does the dearth of reading in this generation mean for teaching? How do you teach to students who don't - or won't - or can't - read?

How can you help them learn to write? I know there are so many people with blogs (and most, like me, have about 4 readers)... practicing writing is good, but it has to be an intentional practice. If I can't form complete sentences.

For example. Hahaha. I think that blogs and online forums have allowed for people to experiment with language, but in many arenas clarity, succinct writing, and basic understanding of grammar is still necessary for communication. Good writing skills shouldn't something amazing - they should be something everyone can attain.

Spelling, now, that's another matter.

No comments: