Friday, June 30, 2006

And the beat goes on...

Must keep posting... must not let feeling stupid get in the way! I have these visions of writing my dissertation and misinterpreting something one of my subjects says - I mean, grossly misinterpreting - and having him or her withdraw from my study. At least then maybe I will have learned not to be intentionally mean.

In any case, here is the latest in the Listserv War! My posting:

First, I'd like to make the comment that [two of the other respondants] and I were calling for something that needs to happen before we can debate school vouchers or school choice or right-wing extremism or any hot topic, for that matter. For a true debate, in which various parties may disagree, but come together to listen to each other's arguments, a climate of respect must be established first. I am unwilling to share my views when I believe that an audience may attack me personally and prevent me from speaking further. Some of our classmates have been booed in class, told that their language was wrong, and had their speech thwarted in other ways. No one can feel free to speak unless they first know their voice will be listened to and respected. Then, let the disagreement and debate begin!


And I remind all parties involved (and those of you who have had class with me will probably roll your eyes) that the etymology of the word debate does go back to the Latin "to fight." ;) However, even in the House and Senate they follow parliamentary rules. Each is allowed his (or her, but not as often the case, right?) time to speak. Personal attacks, even mentioning another representative by name on the House floor, are considered errant from the established and respected order. Even Republicans thought Representative Jean Schmidt (R-OH) had gone too far when she named Jack Murtha by name on the House floor in an attack.

Second, in a classroom environment, our professors often set the tone and tenor of the debate. That many feel we cannot openly express our views in the classrooms suggests something about our leaders in those forums.

As for school vouchers, I can't say I know enough about them to engage in a debate. I do know that it will be an issue we as educators will need to learn more about, since business is coming our way, whether we like it or not. The recent gift by Warren Buffett to the Gates Foundation displays this, but the Business Roundtable and others also have shown interest in charter schools and sometimes vouchers. We all have our pet issues, and this isn't one of mine, but I'd be willing to learn more about it and discuss in order to form a more concrete opinion.

Oh, and one more thing – yes, it is logical advice for someone to research a job before they take it. As educated masters and PhD students, however, I think we all know this. If your intent is to start a debate over school vouchers, then please be honest about your goals. We're all colleagues here, and I'm all for engaging each other in debate; but the more transparent we are about our agendas and our goals, the more comfortable others can be opening ourselves up.

No comments: