Tuesday, June 20, 2006

How much is enough?

Let's get to the heart of the issue. I read one of BW's online features, which was excerpts from an interview with Bill and Melinda Gates. The very first response to them was:

Nickname: ps
Review: I truly appreciate the great cause you are serving and I believe you are on the right track in identifying the root cause of the problem. As someone had rightly stated, it is a matter of concern that we do rely on teachers to impart good education and make it interesting to students. However, when it comes to paying them, we don't pay very well. Date reviewed: Jun 19, 2006 4:26 AM


On WAMU (local NPR station), I recently heard that Prince George's County in Maryland was increasing their teacher pay to $40,000 a year for starting teachers, and more for those beginning with master's degrees and experience. There aren't that many entry-level jobs where you can make $40K. I have never made over $40K, and it will be a long while before I do. Of course, I taught in private school, where the pay and benefits are considerably less than public school (people are always surprised when I tell them that).

If you consider that teachers work 10 1/2 months a year, this works out to be over $3800 per month. Ok, it's not what B. is making as a law clerk in NYC ($4000 a month), but it's not horrible, either. I agree teachers should make enough money to live and work in the community where they teach. I think that it is essential for a teacher to be able to buy a house, raise children, and live a comfortable life. However, how much money is enough? Should people be getting rich being a teacher? After all, lawyers and doctors often go to professional school for years after getting a B.A., while teachers can begin immediately after getting a teaching degree at $40K (or more in certain areas). Now, I realize this varies by state, and some states are doing a better job of compensating their teachers. But how much, really, is enough?

The point is, I don't think anyone should go into teaching (or any profession for that matter) solely to make money. We work for the better part of our lives; shouldn't we do something we love? There was a chart in one of my magazines about how much certain career perks are worth. A good boss, a job you love - how much is that worth to you?

No comments: