Thursday, February 18, 2010

Death of a Colleague

Some things make you stop and realize where you are and where you've been in life. Today I found out that my colleague from my teaching days in the French department passed away this week. I went back and looked at old emails between us and found another one between me and one of my old students as well. It's sad, it's almost as if I was a whole different person when I was teaching, so close to people I don't stay in touch with now. It's not that I don't care about them, it's just so hard to maintain relationships with people you were friends with for three years or less, and when you have a whole wonderful circle of friends to share your current life with.

Reading the old emails brought me back. I don't think my life is better or worse now that I'm not a teacher, just different. I "know" (as much as anyone can) that I'm on the right path, but still, sometimes you ache for your past self and the life you once lived. And for the people you once shared it with, because of course, you never know when goodbye might be for good.

So goodbye, Monique.

No comments: