Saturday, February 13, 2010

MYO Vegetable Stock

I used to think stock was an all-day affair. You can get a lot of flavor in a short amount of time, however. I made some sweet potato fries earlier in the week and saved the skins and unsightly parts in the freezer, along with onion ends, mushroom ends, and garlic skins. I knew I wanted to make some Sweet Potato Risotto later in the week.

I roasted the vegetables for about 20 minutes in a 450 degree oven. This browns them and brings out their rich flavor.

From 2010-02-12


Then put in a pot with about 4 1/2 cups of water (the perfect amount for the risotto, once it boils down). I brought it to a boil, then simmered for about 30-40 minutes and strained out the vegetables.
From 2010-02-12


If you'd like to make risotto on a weeknight, make it on the weekend and stick in the fridge. It usually keeps for about 3 days, or for 3 months in the freezer.

No comments: