Tuesday, July 7, 2009

back and impressed with myself

I know, you're shocked at the title of this post. Me? Impressed with myself? Never.

I'm reading over my comp questions that I desperately need to finish (was hoping to do so before the wedding but since we moved 2 weeks before the wedding, that did not happen). However, I'm reading over what I have so far and it's pretty good. I may just get this PhD thing yet.

A snippet: (might have already posted this, but since I'm practically a different person now with a whole new name and all, I can do it twice)

Online databases of oral history allow oral historians to preserve participant testimony in the original format, and include the Virtual Oral Aural History Archive at California State University at Long Beach (currently not loading but check back and see if it does. The problem with including links in scholarly work is exactly this!). This website has topically organized interviews and allows visitors to listen to complete interviews on a variety of subjects. The archive also has a key-word index that refers to interviews containing specific words. A more popular although less scholarly project appears in the StoryCorps project, where a mobile recording booth travels the country and allows ordinary Americans to interview each other on a variety of topics. The project produces and airs the stories on National Public Radio on a regular basis.[1] These archives and projects point to new ways to disseminate and popularize oral history, and preserve the oral nature of the testimony collected. There are also numerous ways for individual oral historians to disseminate their work, and I will discuss these in the final section on practical implications of the digital era.

No comments: