Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Binghampton Understatement

In my last post, zealous to discredit the Diploma Mill (ugh, title) blog, I understated the Binghampton case. Obviously this is an inappropriate way to raise funds. However, I stand by my point that the analysis is facile. The problem with raising money for colleges is not that we pimp out our development officers. I mean, I don't think this is an epidemic. The real questions lie in the realm of, in our endless chase for dollars, what are we giving up? Academic freedom? Objectivity as researchers? How much money are we spending in order to raise this money (as I think about yet another drive to Baltimore that I will make today to raise a few grand)? Is it worth it?

Being that my own job lies in this realm, these are questions that possibly threaten my livelihood. But we can't be afraid to question the system.

No comments: