Wednesday, July 12, 2006

ChinaKids

In the WSJ this morning I read an article about a blog called Chinakids, where Chinese youngsters, under the pressure of being the perfect only child and the weight of 20-lb backpacks, can "get back" at their parents. Rather than go with the "give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile" philosophy (do they use inches and miles in China? or for that matter, pounds?), China thinks, if we let them think they're free to express themselves in small ways, maybe they will be satisfied and not go further. Besides, "my mom makes me study too much" does not a political statement make.

I love the WSJ's subhead for this one - "Tale of the 20 Pound Backpack." DS, don't you carry one of those? ;)

I would send you the link to the blog, but it's in Chinese. And if you do speak Chinese, you are perfectly capable of Googling "Chinakids" your darn selves.

"In China, Griping About Mom and Dad Gets an Official OK." (WSJ, July 12th)

By the way, if I really love you, I'll give you my log in so you can access the WSJ online.

No comments: