Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Entitlement

My dad told me once that the problem with liberals is their sense of entitlement. "Give me something for showing up" - at least that's how he characterizes it.

I see this infestation in Democrats in Congress right now. I may be a registered Dem, but I'm having a hard time getting excited about voting for them right now. At least when the Republicans took over Congress in 1994, they had a "Contract with America." Maybe it was just lip service, but those guys aren't entitled to anything. They owe us their service, and if we don't like it, then too bad for them. We're the ones entitled to representation, and if they're not representing us well, we have the right to kick them out. But instead of any sort of even... lip service to the power of the people, I'm hearing crickets from the Dems. Like the idea that winning back Congress in 2006 might hurt our chances of the presidency in 2008. Sigh. Power of NOW people - let's focus.

The entitlement debate grows especially sticky because of the racial implications. Programs supported by liberals such as affirmative action aim to "even out" the injustices in society perpetuated by a long history of racism. Conservatives think that no one is entitled to anything; they're big fans of what I call the "bootstrap narrative." It's awfully easy to pull yourself up by your bootstraps if your parents have steady jobs, they've paid for you to attend college, and the "disability" you're struggling with is, like, low self esteem. Imagine "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" when you haven't seen your mom in two days because she's pulling a double shift at the hospital and hasn't been around to cook dinner. Or breakfast. Or lunch. Hard to pull yourself up by your bootstraps when they keep breaking.

On the other hand, some conservatives charge there is a deep racism inherent in entitlement programs. Yes, they may make up for a history of injustice, but they also suggest "You wouldn't make it without me helping you." And so I will help you, I will give you the boots, and the bootstraps and a hand. Aren't I great? You couldn't have done it without me. And because I keep helping you, you'll never learn how to make your own boots. Or that maybe, your bootstrap narrative consists of something different, like linking arms with others in your community to create strength. That "pulling yourself up" is not so important as making where you are better.

There's also a racism in disliking affirmative action - privileged white folk who think, well, if I were Black I could have gone to Harvard. People who feel that they deserve the slots "taken" by minority students, or workers, or whatever. I know this because I've been there - I wasn't kidding about being a privileged white girl. Maybe not as privileged as some, but privileged enough to think that I "deserved" to get into an Ivy League school because I had perfect grades. Perfect grades are a whole lot easier to get when you've got a peaceful home to study in, good food to eat, and the opportunity to travel around the world.

Ultimately, though, I think we all know, liberal and conservative, that "entitlement" programs are not the answer to the deep questions of racism and inequality in our society. We need to heal our communities, create safe homes for children, and work for all people to give them a sense of self and accomplishment. And not hand-out work - but real work, the kind that inspires us to be better people, the kind that you and I do every day because by the grace of our birth and/or our "bootstraps," we are where we are today.

No comments: